Monday, January 09, 2006

Occupational Names for Scientists

Not much happening - reading quite a bit of papers. As I was perusing the literature on nuclear export, I came across a paper by a researcher named Cumming. This reminded me of a passage in Jared Diamond's The Third Chimpanzee about scientists whose surnames reflect their area of expertise (I'll post it when I have the time). Off the top of my head, here is a list of researchers whose name say quite a bit about what they study:

Polymeropoulos Mihael is one of the world's leaders in analyzing the genome, in particular to sequence, map and analyze many mRNAs (or ESTs - expressed sequence tags).

Here's a good question for you ... who identified the taste receptor that recognizes sugars? Charles S. Zuker of course!

Then there is the famous (now retired) ornithologist Mitchell Byrd.

I guess I should have been an archaeologist ...